Nanaimo, Courtney/Comox and Victoria all have airports with direct flights from major Canadian and U.S. cities. West Jet and Air Canada service these airports. In addition, there are harbour-to-harbour flights from Vancouver, Seattle and Victoria, by float plane via Harbour Air, Sea Air, and Sunshine Coast Air or helicopter.
There is an efficient ferry system offered by BC Ferries between Vancouver and Vancouver Island, making it easy to transport to the Island.
How long is the ferry ride?
1. The Lower Mainland ( Horseshoe Bay ) to Departure Bay in the inner harbour of Nanaimo BC Ferries – Time 1 hour 35 minutes.
2. The Lower Mainland (Tsawwassen) to Duke Point (15 minutes south of Nanaimo) BC Ferries – 2 hour 15 minutes.
Access through Victoria is an 1 hour and 30 minute drive to Nanaimo.
3. Seattle, W.A. to Victoria Victoria Clipper Ferry – 2 hours and 30 minutes.
4. Port Angeles, W.A. to Victoria Coho Ferry – 1 hour and 35 minutes.
5. Anacortes, W.A. to Sidney ( Outside of Victoria ) Washington State Ferries – 3 hours
6. Friday Harbor (San Juan Island), W.A. to Sidney Washington State Ferries – 2 hours and 30 minutes.
7. Bellingham, W.A. to Victoria Victoria San Juan Cruises – 3 hours.